Study Looks at How Finished Space Is Distributed in New Homes
Realizing the dearth of information that's readily available on the topic, NAHB researchers recently surveyed our single-family builder members to get a bead on how finished floor space is distributed in new homes. Below are highlights of the resulting special study, the entirety of which you can find on HousingEconomics.com:
1) Bedroom space accounts for just under 29% of floor space in new homes, irrespective of the overall size of those homes;
2) Bathroom space is allotted 12.3% of total floor area on average, with more space allocated in larger homes, and less in smaller ones;
3) The share of space covered by the laundry room—which is present in the vast majority of homes, irrespective of their size—is 3.7% and varies only to a minor extent with the size of the home;
4) Entry foyers account for 3.4% of the finished area on average;
5) Kitchens get about 11.9% of the space in small homes, versus 11.1% of the space in larger ones;
6) Dining areas account for 7.8% of the space in small homes and 7% of the space in larger ones; and
7) The family room accounts for just over 11% of floor space in small, average, and large size homes, while the living room accounts for nearly 12% of the space in the small home and 7.5% in the large one.
HAPPY COLUMBUS DAY!
First Landing of Columbus on the Shores of the New World, after the painting by Dióscoro Teófilo de la Puebla Tolin.
Choose from more than 400 house designs that we offer in a wide range of styles and sizes. Some of our more popular house designs include European-inspired Georgian and palladian homes, English manor house plans, Tuscan-style Italian villas, French chateaux, and colonial house plans. Our Tuscan-style villas range from 1800 to 14,814 sf, and Newport classic house designs range from 1500 to 5000 sf. Our starter castles, mansions and estate homes are designed in the grand tradition of some of the most impressive homes in the world. Please feel free to search our house designs offered. Our plans have been built around the globe, from Canada to Dubai, and one could be just for you!
- Tags: Living Space
- Joanne Loftus